Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Starting over


Well I have learned a few things in purchasing someone elses layout.



  1. It is a great way to get into the hobby. A lot of things are done for you so you can get up and running in a few weekends.
  2. However some of the issues I came across was having to but in a DCC bus, It didn't fit my space, as great as it looks in pictures, once you tear it down, it is hard to get it to look like the previous layout.  The legs were not as strong and when I went to remake them I just decided to just start over and reuse what I could.
  3. I was able to reuse the industries, tracks, trees, turnouts, L girder benchwork.
  4. What I needed to remake were the legs, this time around I decided to mount leg adjusters on all legs to account for the slope in my basement. 
  5. I also decided to run the wiring bus before installing the benchwork. I put two holes in so if I ever put in an accessory bus it would be easy to run. 

Any way here is to second chances to old layouts.
In this new layout I plan to focus on the CNW operations in the midwest. Initially I was planning on using a Model Railroad Shelf layout track plan to the T. But realized it would fit my interest more if I aged the layout from the 80-90's back to the late 50's- late 60's so I could have more 40 foot boxcars.  So I could run older F units and have a commuter service to get in the way of the operators. 

No comments:

Post a Comment